You’re doing too much!
Which one of these sounds like you?
- I work 7 days a week.
- I work more than 8 hours a day at a minimum of 3 days per week.
- I haven’t taken a vacation in more than 6 months.
- I usually do not have a day in the week where I just chill.
- I miss a majority of my kid’s events because I’m busy.
- I hear my mate say repeatedly that we don’t have much time together.
- I am often times tired.
- I need coffee to feel awake in the morning.
If none of them sound like you, great! But if any of them do, even just one is your story, you’re doing too much. You need a break my friend. And if you just said, “Yes, but I don’t have time,” then you definitely need a break!
You owe it to yourself to take a break, balance your life and take care of you. You owe it to your brain to improve your acuity, your body so you don’t burn yourself out, and your heart to preserve your health. Your brain, body and heart needs you to balance your world to increase your propensity to love yourself–not to mention those you care about.
Consider one or all of these recommendations to get balanced:
- Work less days. If you are working 7 days a week, find a way to make it 6, or better still, 5.
- Figure out who to share your work with because constantly working for more than 8 hours, more likely than not, means you are doing someone else’s work, or someone is taking advantage of you.
- Find 4 hours to relax, not sleep, but chill out! Journal, read a book, enjoy a glass of wine (or your beverage of choice) with a loved one or close friend. Chill!
- Go relax by water if you are able. Water is always soothing. Find your closest (and safe) river, lake, bay or beach.
- Make time for a weekly massage, and if weekly is too much, try to start with once a month.
- Get away on mini-vacations every 3 to 4 months. They can be super small–as small as a staycation or a night at a nice hotel in “the city” where ever “the city” is for you.
- Get away on longer vacations once a year! Your job is paying you to rest. It’s called vacation time. They are giving you a gift, and if you don’t go on vacation, you are giving it back! Why?! For the love of everything that is holy, TAKE THE DARN VACATION!
Now leave this post with your intention for which one you will do, so that sooner rather than later, you will say, “I AM balanced.”
If this has inspired you, then please let me know your thoughts below. I am sure you will inspire someone else!